Monday, October 14, 2013

General Conference

The Canlubang sisters literally ate half of this table sized pizza at zone dinner (go sisters!)!

Well my friends, another week has passed here in "The 'Bang" (pronounced bong) and I have successfully broken my alarm clock, 3 umbrellas, and my bag in the 8 weeks I've been here. Now that's talent. And an update on my Tagalog, I got 63% on my grammar test on my online training. So that means I'm fluent. Right? Right. I have also successfully eaten my weight in chapatis, fried Indian bread. Living with an Indian is the best! 

As far as investigators go, we found this adorable family that lives by our apartment and they have stolen my heart. Their names are Joel and Arianne and their kids are Clouie and Venice. They're Catholic but they are totally open to learning more about other religions. In our first lesson, Sister Arianne was asking us if she converted to our religion if she had to go house to house like us and if they had activities for the kids and if they couldn't come to church every single week if we'd be mad and I was like can we just baptize you right now? Brother Joel lost his job and is struggling because he loves his family so much and he just wants what's best for them. They just need the gospel! We took them on a church tour on Saturday and they loved it. We have FHE with them tonight and they're coming to church next week! I just love them! Turns out every once in awhile, people really listen :)

This weekend we got to watch what we call "The Missionary Super Bowl." A.K.A. General Conference. Oh my gosh it was the best! Although I have waited my whole life for my stake to be chosen to sing in conference and of course, it would happen when I was literally on the other side of the world! But whatevs, what I'm doing is way cooler ;) It was awesome to see Makayla and Marsha Holmes and Bro. Peterson though! The main message I got from conference wasn't really spoken. I just felt it. And it was this. Just love people. Every question that I wrote down, hoping for an answer, was answered by that statement. How do I get my investigators to progress? How do I help strengthen family and friends at home? How do I enjoy my mission? How do I strengthen my testimony? Just love people. Another main point of conference was member missionary work, which as a missionary I love! But since most people are a little apprehensive about sharing the gospel with those they know, this is my advice. Just love people. We are all children of the same loving Heavenly Father, brothers and sisters. And if we will just reach out in love to others, they will feel His love for them. Sometimes you've done all you can to help someone and all that's left to do is love them. If we just love people, they will see the light of Christ in us. We will emulate our Savior and because of us, they will want to know Him. So love people. And share the gospel.

Another favorite part of conference was after President Monson spoke and the choir sang "We Thank Thee O God for a Prophet." The congregation was quietly singing along and as I looked around I saw tears in the eyes of many and my own eyes filled with tears. At that moment I just knew how much faith these people had, how much they loved the prophet. And I knew how much Heavenly Father loved each one of them. I wish I could better explain it, but I just know this church is true and President Monson is a prophet of God, and through Him, God is always watching out for us.

Try to serve someone this week. Share the gospel by just loving the people around you. Let the light of Christ shine in your eyes. And know that I love you. All of you. I don't even have to know you. You are my brother or my sister and you are loved. 

Have a great week!

XOXO, Sister Brown

Church tour

Venice, the little fashionista

Joel, Arianna, Sister Meti, me,
Venice and Cloudie..my new favorite investigators!

No comments:

Post a Comment