Monday, July 28, 2014

11 days in the dark‏

First rainbow I've seen in the Pines
Wait, didn't I just write to you like yesterday?? Welcome to the fastest week in the history of my mission. This week started out with the opportunity to be interviewed by our new mission president during another typhoon. I really like the Mangums, they are super great people and they have a lot of experiences to share that are going to help a lot of missionaries :) Oh and the typhoon was just a rainstorm. No worries. It's name was Henry and he had nothin' on Glenda. Speaking of Glenda, taught a lot of lessons this week in which we were being rained on... inside of people's houses. Everything for the most part is getting back to normal, but the Filipino people continue to amaze me. Like I just can't explain to you how much I love them. There is just no one else like them and they will always have a big part of my heart. On another note, I tried banana fries this week! They are the most delicious thing since ice cream! Too bad there are no more standing banana trees in Sta. Cruz... But there IS power! We went for 11 days without power. When it came on we were in a lesson and everyone started shouting and our investigator's son came out of the house with the look of a kid on Christmas and said, "We have an electric fan!" I am super glad we have a fridge now, but I feel really 1st world. I kinda liked the candles.

Last week I mentioned I got a new companion. Can I just tell you how much I absolutely love her? Sister Burt and I lived together in Canlubang for 3 months, then when I got transferred to San Jose, she took over my area in Canlubang. Then when I got transferred to Tayabas, she got transferred to San Jose and took over my area there. And now we are companions. And it is awesome. We've basically had the same mission. She is very much helping me to enjoy the work and learn to listen to the spirit. She is an amazing missionary and an amazing friend and I am SOOO thankful we get to be companions! I also love Sister Hopkins and Sister Mahoni, my beautiful, hilarious housemates. We have too much fun sometimes. I got to go on exchanges with Sister Mahoni again and it absolutely amazing to see the improvements she's made in less than 6 weeks. It's amazing to see how God really makes us who He needs us to be.

And finally, the investigators. We have one couple, Gilbert and Vergie Salvador. They are referrals from our Stake President. And they are what ya call "Golden." They are so excited for their baptism in August! It's like everything we teach them just makes perfect sense to them. They are so prepared! Last night we taught them about the word of wisdom and Sister Vergie told us she read the pamphlet we left and she's already stopped drinking coffee and Gilbert was making a plan to stop smoking before we even asked him if he would! The best part of his plan is that when we asked what he would do when he felt tempted to smoke he said, "Hahawakan ko ang mga manok ko." Which roughly translates to, "I'll just hold my chickens." Hey, whatever works ;) 

I love Sta. Cruz. I love my companion. I love my housemates. I love every one of my investigators and each of the members here. I LOVE being a missionary in the Philippines San Pablo Mission and I know that this is EXACTLY where I need to be right now. I wouldn't trade this for the world. I love all of you and I am so thankful for the support that you continue to give and for the prayers you send my way. Have a great week and be grateful for the little things :)

XOXO, Sister Brown
We got electricity after 11 days....we couldn't turn the lights off!


No comments:

Post a Comment