Monday, January 13, 2014

If the Savior walked the streets of San Jose...‏


Hellooo pamilya at mga kaibigan ko! This week was great! I milked a coconut, met Michael Angelo, convinced my district leader me and my companion had been fighting spiders and we were bitten and dying, and ate some chicken innards. And on top of all that, I was the only one in the house who did not get sick this week. With that being said, we couldn't go out a couple of days and I was really sad about it. If that would've happened my first couple of months here I probably would have danced for joy. And I don't dance. But here's the thing, missions change everything. I love these people, I love this place, and I love being a missionary. I don't even know how to explain it. Most of these people have so little, but they are so happy. Most people in America have everything and then some and they still can't seem to figure out how to just be happy. The culture of the Philippines is one of simplicity and we Americans could learn a thing or two about that. 

About our investigators. Next weekend, Mae Ann is getting baptized! She is only 15 but she is so amazing and she is such a light to her family! Her mom and her stepfather have been listening to the lessons and the more they see Mae Ann changing, the more interested they are in learning more themselves. They were even joking about just getting in the font after Mae Ann haha :) They have some great potential. And then there's Jessie. Jessie has been taking the lessons for a long time. He's in his 20's and he's got Word of Wisdom problems and he hasn't really been able to get over them. But we retaught him the Word of Wisdom and Law of Chastity and extended a baptismal goal date, which is something the other sisters had never done. He asked us if we really believed in him, that he could be ready by that day and then with our assurance, he took out his earrings right then and there and told us he could try to quit smoking by this week! And he finally came to church! Other than that, our teaching pool is kinda sparse. So looks like more tracting for the San Jose sisters!

This week we also had zone interviews and zone meeting. It was much needed. I just want to share something that President shared with me in my interview. He looked at me and said, "Sister Brown, if the Savior was walking the streets of San Jose, what would He do? How would He treat the people?" The more I think about that question, the more I love these people. Because they are all my brothers and sisters. They have divine potential. We came to this earth with the same goal; to get back to our Heavenly Father. It's not a race. There isn't only room for so many of us in the Celestial Kingdom. We are here to help one another achieve our goal. We are all on the same team. So next time some guy cuts you off or your co-worker gives an unwanted opinion, think about them the way the Savior sees them. I promise you it will change your perception of everything. I've tried it. 

Thank you for your love and your prayers. I love you all to pieces! I know that this is the true church of God on the earth today. I know that Joseph Smith is a prophet and through him, our loving Heavenly Father restored the gospel so that we wouldn't be lost. He gave us the Book of Mormon as kind of an instruction book to life. And I know that He's given us a Savior, even Jesus Christ, to show us the way and to make the whole thing possible. I love the gospel and I am so thankful for the amazing experiences I'm having sharing it with my brothers and sisters! 

Mahal na mahal kita!

XOXO, Sister Brown

That's our recent converts house back in the jungle

Welcome to the jungle....

We love roosters in the Philippines!  Did you know they actually cock-a-doodle-doo all night long, not just at sunrise! :/



No comments:

Post a Comment