Thursday, November 13, 2014

What the ahas?‏



Kamusta na po kayo? Buhay pa sana. First of all, HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD!!! You're the best, have a great day but don't get too crazy, you're getting old ;)  It has been yet another crazy week in San Jose. There is NEVER a boring day. It's always an adventure! We started out the week with QUITE the adventure. We were supposed to go to Lipa for exchanges with our STL's but being the awesome missionaries that we are, we decided to try and squeeze in a lesson before we headed to Lipa. We got about 3 steps from the door. Then I felt something stick into my leg and our investigator started yelling, "Ahas! Ahas!" You know what that means! Oh wait... you don't. Let me fill you in. It means nothing other than snake. Yep. I've officially been snake bitten.

My sweet little investigator took us to the hospital and there were just so many grim faces all around. The moment I told them I'd been bitten by a snake they would just kind of shake their heads as if to say, "It was nice knowing ya." Here's the thing. I was totally fine. The 2 shots they gave me hurt way more than the bite itself did! The hospital here in San Jose doesn't have any way to treat snakebites so I got to go to Manila. I had to stay there for 24 hours to be "observed" for signs of venom so me and the mission nurse, Sister Galbraith, got to know each other and all of the nurses. And janitors. And patients. It was a long 24 hours. We were about to hour 16 and I was dying. Of boredom. Not literally. No worries. But then I realized why I felt so awful. I was a missionary! I was supposed to be doing missionary work! So Sister Galbraith and I started OYMing everyone that came into the room. Which was everyone because it was the janitor's closet and also the shortcut to the other side of the hospital. And I felt SOOO much better! There was only one other snakebite patient and he just happened to be from Batangas, about 20 minutes away from San Jose. By the end of our conversation, Lorena (his mom) told us that maybe it was a blessing that we'd both been snake bitten because they were able to meet us and they are so excited for the missionaries in their area to come visit them! God works in mysterious ways.

I just love San Jose ward by the way. They all showed up outside our house in a big truck about 20 minutes after the whole thing happened. I don't even know how they knew! They were so concerned. They still keep asking me if I'm okay a week later. After talking to so many people, I did start to realize how lucky I was. And the more people that tell me it was a miracle that the snake wasn't venomous, the more I really believe that Heavenly Father was watching out for me. And the more I think about all the people I met at the hospital that didn't know what they were going to eat or drink or how they were going to get home because they didn't have any money, the more I realize how blessed I am to have the gospel. There was one patient who was 24 and had leprosy. It was curable but they didn't have any money. So they left. They took him home to die. You don't know how lucky you are. Don't take things for granted. 

This verse has brought me comfort as I've tried to understand why it is that there are so many trials for these people. 

Wherefore, whoso believeth in God might with surety hope for a better world, yea, even a place at the right hand of God, which hope cometh of faith, maketh an anchor to the souls of men, which would make them sure and steadfast, always abounding in good works, being led to glorify God.

There is always hope because of the atonement of Jesus Christ. I am so thankful for the hope that comes from this gospel. Thank you for everything! Have a great week! 

XOXO, Sister Brown

 







 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment